kernel configuration

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jan 14 13:23:33 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 12:44 PM, t-u-t wrote:
>> While it is true that you can comment out all but i686 and get a
>> working
>> kernel, you will experience reduced performance.  There are a
>> number of
>> low-level assembly routines (cf sys/i386/i386/support.s such as
>> i586_bcopy)
>> that are conditionalized off of I586_CPU only, even though they
>> provide an
>> advantage on i686 platforms also.
>>
>> --
>> -Chuck
>
> so in any case it doesn't hurt to leave all 3. right?

Certainly it doesn't hurt.  As far as I can tell, leaving 486 option
increases the kernel size (very) slightly but there doesn't seem to be
many things optimized for 486 which don't have better equivalents
coded for 586 or 686.

Leaving out the 586 option would not be desirable AFAICT....

> I have one last question though, is
>
> makeoptions DEBUG=g necessary if i am not debugging or is it always
> necessary to build the kernel properly? can i safely comment it out?

It can be commented out safely, yes.

Regards,
--
-Chuck