Performing installed ports upgrade / leaving some software intact

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:03:06 PST 2009

Dear all,

I am now full into planning the 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE upgrade. I
know that at the end of the day it will also mean upgrading all ports
(portupgrade -af). I have one port - mailman - which I have customized
a lot and do not really want to upgrade it as it will most likely mean
I will have to hack a few files again.

What options do I have so that I do not break the setup?

I am thinking of:

1/ backing up the hacked files and restoring them later (but I will
overwrite the newer files with older ones perhaps breaking something).
2/ making them read only (but the end result will be the same and
upgrading as root I will overwrite them anyway).

And that would be it. My wisdom ends here. Is there any option to
survive the ports upgrade? :)

If not, I guess I will just have to hack Mailman files again after the
upgrade...

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.slowo.pl