updating to 7.1 with a small root slice

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 05:53:31 PST 2009

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:13, Zbigniew Szalbot <zszalbot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for your advice. Due to a very stupid design decision my
> / slice is only 256 MB. It seems too little so whenever I compile a
Actually it is 242MB

> new kernel, I need to move the kernel.old to a different slice to
> install the new one. Then I pray, hope for the best and reboot.
> However, I read that if I want to update to 7.1 I will need to boot a
> generic kernel at some point. What option do I have?

I found the problem. My oh my - I had
makeoptions    DEBUG=-g
uncommented.

When I commented it out, the new compiled kernel is only 32MB whereas
the old one was 128 or so MB.

So I am happy about it now. However, I do not have a GENERIC kernel in
/boot and I will need it to do nextboot when I upgrade to 7.1.

I thought I'd use the procedure described here
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
to compile a generic kernel

# cd /usr/src
# env DESTDIR=/boot/GENERIC make kernel
# mv /boot/GENERIC/boot/kernel/* /boot/GENERIC
# rm -rf /boot/GENERIC/boot

When I make the GENERIC kernel, I again run out of space (I still have
about 60MB free in /). So I guess the system is probably using the
same "makeoptions    DEBUG=-g" settings for the generic kernel. So my
question is where is the kernel conf file based on which the generic
kernel is compiled?

Is it in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC ?

Thank you in advance!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.slowo.pl