Printing - standard? CUPS? ...??

Jason Lenthe lenthe at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 17:14:12 PST 2009

Ewald Jenisch wrote:

> Should I go for the standard vanilla FreeBSD lpr that comes with the
> system or use anything else? If "anything else" - what (CUPS,...?)
>
> Please note that I want to print both from gnome (X-win) as well as
> via the commadline.

I was looking forward to using CUPS when I built my FreeBSD machine over
year ago.  I found that CUPS was a snap to set up and worked beautifully
by itself.

The problem was that certain other software (gtk+ and gnome as I recall)
expected /usr/bin/lpr to be the CUPS lpr (the CUPS port normally
installs lpr to /usr/local/bin).  It was also necessary for some
applications to have /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in your path for
certain applications to work.  My memory is vague regarding the details,
though.

I remember seeing something on the internet that recommended setting a
flag in the port to install CUPS to /usr/bin.  That was too drastic for
my tastes, so I decided to just set up FreeBSD printing and be done with it.

By all means, give CUPS a try though.

Sincerely,
Jason