FIXED: vpnc connects, but does not work

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Mon Jan 12 02:55:58 PST 2009

Hi perryh!

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

> > ... I do have a Linux OS that I have access
> > to that strangely does use vpnc successfully.
>
> That may help quite a bit.  You can use something like tcpdump or
> wireshark on the FreeBSD system to monitor the traffic between the
> Linux system and the Cisco while connecting and doing something
> simple like pinging the inside nameserver, then reverse roles and
> use the Linux system to monitor the traffic between FreeBSD and the
> Cisco while connecting and attempting to do the same simple thing.
> You won't be able to see what's inside the IPSEC-encrypted packets,
> but you can at least see how many of what size are sent in each
> direction.  This may provide some clues as to what is going wrong.

Alas, this is a multi-boot system where the Linux OS is installed - so no chance of that :-(

I've just determined that it might not be a problem with vpnc..,as such. I got an ethernet
connection to work just now, so it looks as if its just down to now vpnc is handling my wifi
interface, for some reason.

As I said originally, this **was** working, and now its stopped for some reason. I'm now
fairly certain that its not got anything to do with vpnc natively, as I used the same vpnc
conf file to successfully access the office over ethernet.

I'll keep at it..,

Thanks for your assistance!

Regards,

S Roberts