FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-i386 will changing root shell break anything?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sat Jan 10 10:20:34 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:46:54PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 2:09 PM -0800 1/4/09, David Christensen wrote:
> >
> >I have changed the root shell to Bash on another machine I use as a CVS
> >server and haven't noticed any issues yet, but I've been wondering if
> >I'm setting myself up for problems by doing so.
> >

> >Does anybody know if it's okay to change the root shell on FreeBSD
> >7.0-RELEASE-i386?

Why do that?
Just create your own root account, put what you want for a shell
on that account and use it.

Use vipw.   Copy the root line and then change the _second_ one
to be your own root id    - say,  Rgad  - and make a loging in directory
for it.  Change the directory part of the pw entry to be that and
the the shell to be what you want.

Then change the password to be what you want or use some pwvault utility
or whatever.   Just make sure you specify the second root account  (Rgad)
when doing so or it will change the real root's password.

////jerry