Sun sucks

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 8 14:44:23 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:10:10PM -0500, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> So I am trying to build Java on FreeBSD 7.0. I need to REGSITER to download
> the Timezone Java patch.
>
> After registering Sun complains that they don't like my ID and I need to
> provide more information. I create another account. Same problem. After 3
> months I finally get an email saying they want clarification on the acronym
> for my company. (no access yet to download Java patch.)
>

> This sucks man. Is there one central repository where we can get all the
> components required to build Java on FreeBSD?

I was running 64-bit FreeBSD 7.0, but had to remove it to run Suse 11.
32-bit Fedora 9 and 64-bit Suse 11 ship with fully functional Java
environments. If your primary goal is to use Java, I can recommend
either of these platforms. I got a complex 3rd party Java project
(Geometric Algebra graphics) installed and running with absolutely no
problems on these platforms.  (BTW, I had no prior experience worth
mentioning with Java :-) ),