ndis panic HP pavilion ze4400 won't boot

Neal Hogan nealhogan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 13:31:53 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Paul B. Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/8/09, Neal Hogan <nealhogan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm father new to fBSD. I hope this is the appropriate list to send this
> > question to.
> >
> > I just installed 7.1-RELEASE on my HP pavilion and attempted to configure
> my
> > Broadcom wlan card (BCM94309 version 4.10.40.0) using ndisgen. I cp'd the
> > bcmwl5_sys.ko to /boot/kernel and added *bcmwl5_sys_load="YES"* to my
> > /boot/loader.conf. Now the machine will not boot. It crashes when it
> reaches
> > the ndis0 line. I've tried booting in all the modes but they all fail to
> > boot. I can escape to prompt, but am unsure what, if anything, I can do
> in
> > that mode to deal with the situation.
> >
> > With other releases (6.4 and 7.0) the machine would panick when I
> attempted
> > to ifconfig ndis0. However, I was able to boot in single user mode and
> > temporarily move the rc.conf file so that I cound boot in the default
> mode.
> > With 7.1, I don't appear to have that option.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do, short of a fresh install, to eliminate this
> > problem? I'm not too worried about getting the wifi up (although, I won't
> > turn down any advice). I just want the machine to boot.
>
> You can enter loader and from there unload bcmwl5_sys, type: unload
> bcmwl5_sys.
> loader is started one step before kernel.
>
> Before ever changing loader.conf you really should test it via kldload(1)
> and report any ndis issues via PR.
> From where you fetched drivers and for what windows version?

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion! However, it's not working. I've tried *unload
/boot/kernel/bcmwl5_sys.ko* *unload bcmwl5_sys* *unload bcmwl5_sis.ko*
*unload* and they all simply return to the OK prompt (should it tell me
something?).

When I boot/reboot it fails the same as before.

As far as *kldload*ing goes, I tried that and it did find the bcmwl5_sys.ko
(it said that the file didn't exist). So, I manually copied it.

I don't remember where I got the driver. I'm pretty sure it was from HP. The
version of Windows is XP Home Edition.

--
www.nealhogan.net