FYI, portsnap problems

David Horn dhorn2000 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 21:32:16 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Colin Percival <cperciva at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For the benefit of those of you who are noticing problems with portsnap
> right
> now: The release of FreeBSD 7.1 has resulted in a very large amount of
> traffic
> to update1.freebsd.org, which is hosted by the same box as
> portsnap-master...
> so the portsnap mirrors are having some trouble syncing right now.  If you
> find
> that portsnap doesn't work, please be patient -- once the flood of people
> upgrading systems to 7.1-RELEASE has subsided things should get back to
> normal.
>
> (Before people ask: update2.freebsd.org is going to exist soon.  No, I'm not
> looking for more mirrors right now.)

Both freebsd-update and portsnap seem to be very fast for me at the moment.

It looks like we have update2 in the dns rotation (at least when I queried):

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org.	IN	SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org. 1707 IN	SRV	1 25 80 update2.FreeBSD.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org. 1707 IN	SRV	1 30 80 update4.FreeBSD.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org. 1707 IN	SRV	1 10 80 update1.FreeBSD.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org. 1707 IN	SRV	1 10 80 update3.FreeBSD.org.

Keep up the good work.

Non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt.