7.0 > 7.1 update problem

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 05:04:41 PST 2009

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for FreeBSD. I am trying to update FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p7
> (GENERIC) #2 to 7.1-RELEASE. Here are the steps I am performing:
>
> 1. freebsd-update -r 7.1-RELEASE upgrade
>
> I get:
>
> The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
> kernel/generic src/base src/sys world/base world/dict world/doc
> world/games world/info world/manpages world/proflibs
>
> The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
> src/bin src/cddl src/compat src/contrib src/crypto src/etc src/games
> src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release src/rescue
> src/sbin src/secure src/share src/tools src/ubin src/usbin
> world/catpages
>
> Does this look reasonable (y/n)?

> Fetching metadata signature for 7.1-RELEASE from update1.FreeBSD.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
> Applying metadata patches... done.
> Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Fetching files from 7.0-RELEASE for merging... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
> Fetching 17792 patches.
>
> Then it asks me about files in /etc/ which were modified. I install
> newer versions and change some entries if needed. Save and exit vi
> when it is all finished.
>
> 2/ cd /usr/src/
> 3/ make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> 4/ shutdown -r now
>
> The system is up and geuss what - it is still FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p7
> (GENERIC) #2.
>
> I repeated the whole procedure (didn't have to download the 17792
> patches though) and restarted once again - but got the same effect. A
> slight hint. I am sure I modified and saved /etc/ssh/sshd_config file
> but its modify date is from 2008. So I am probably doing something
> wrong there...
>
> I put the entries (for example a non-standard ssh port number), press
> Esc, then : and finally wq.
>
> Can you help by suggesting where to go from here? Many thanks!

Hi Zbigniew

During the first run of freebsd-update, the sources for the kernel are
not  yet installed.
Please follow the exact procedure described here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

(Section 24.2.3 onwards)

This was recently updated to cater for people with custom kernel.
On the other hand, if you intend to use GENERIC as shown above, you
don't need to recompile anything.