PATA DVD on Asus P5Q Pro

Giuseppe Pagnoni gpagnoni at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 04:31:09 PST 2009

Dear all,

although I posted a previous email to the list about this issue some
months ago, I thought I would check again to see whether anything has
changed with the 7.1 release.

I have an LG cd/dvd combo (model GH22LP20) that attaches to the
PATA(/IDE) connector of an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard.  The specs for
the motherboard are the following:

N° sockets (max memory): 4xDDR2 (max 8GB)
Chipset: Intel P45 (LGA775 platform)+ ICH10R
Sound Card: Realtek ALC1200 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
SATA support, N° connectors: 8x SATA2, 1x PATA
LAN:          Atheros AR8121 10/100/1000 Mb/s
RAID:          0,1,0+1,5
Connectors:
    * 2 slots for PCI Express 16x 2.0
    * 3 slots PCI Express x1
    * 2 slots PCI 2.2
    * 12 x USB
    * 2 x Firewire

The PATA-133/IDE interface is implemented via an additional Marvell
88SE6111controller (SATA is driven via ICH10R).

My problem is that the DVD drive is not seen by FreeBSD, although it
is seen by the BIOS in the boot up phase.  In the previous post Jeremy
Chadwick pointed out that the Marvell 88SE6111controller may not be
supported by FreeBSD.  I was wondering if this is still the case with
the 7.1 Release and whether somebody could suggest a workaround that
does not involve replacing the drive (e.g., is it possible to use some
sort of converter cable from SATA to PATA?  I apologize if this is
complete nonsense, but I know close to nothing about buses and
connector types).

By the way, the Atheros onboard NIC appears to work fine with the
driver "ale" (disabled by default in the GENERIC kernel), and sound
works too with the kernel module snd_hda.

thanks in advance for any suggestion

very best

   giuseppe

--