FreeBSD 7.0-Stable Crashed with Cacti

APseudoUtopia apseudoutopia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 06:12:50 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Kalpin Erlangga Silaen
<kalpin at muliahost.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> we face problem with running cacti on FreeBSD 7.0-Stable. From top command output:

-----
snip
-----

> We realized that all cacti process just eat my cpu and memory (STATE: pfault) and my server should be reboot.
> Is there any way how to fix it?
>
> Thank you
>
> Kalpin Erlangga Silaen

Cacti runs the poller script using php. It looks like the poller
script is taking too long to finish, and it ends up having several
instances running at the same time.
I'd recommend that you look into the 'Spine' poller (formally known as
Cactid). It's a threading C program, which is _MUCH_ faster than php
will ever be.