Urgent help needed please: Gvinum problem

Fri Jan 2 16:06:14 PST 2009

> Hi,
>
> We had a power lost even though we have ups and generators (still
> investigating it) and when the machine rebooted one of the disk seems to
be
> failed :
>
> The system complains about fsck repaired failed and that I must run it
> manually. It then boots in single user mode.
>
> I entered gvinum and pressed "l" to see the status of the drive and I get
> this:
> My volume is UP
> My plex is shown as degraded
> I have 3 of the 4 subdisks shown as UP the 4th is shown as down.
>
> Running "gvinum /dev/gvinum/RAID5" which is the name of my volume gets me
> this error:
> ** /dev/gvinum/RAID5
> Cannot find file system superblock
> Ioctl (GCINFO): Inapropriate ioctl for device
> fsck_ufs: /dev/gvinum/RAID5: can't read disk label
>
> I tried "bsdlabel gvinum/RAID5" it tells me there is no valid label found
>
> Does anyone knows what I can try to try to put back system online (at
least,
> so I can restore a backup on the disk)

I'm trying to find my vinum notes, but can't as of yet...

What does a:

# fsck -y /dev/gvinum/RAID5

...yield...anything?

Steve

Same :(

But thanks all, I just did a newfs and currently restoring backups on it

Strange... Last time I will will gvinum, nothing as stable as a hardware
controller I guess :(