Nice web interface or music?

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Thu Jan 1 21:29:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, stan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 03:29:05PM -0500, Chris Hill wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, stan wrote:
>>
>>> I's like to set up my MP3's so that I can access them from the web
>>> server on my Free-BSD 7.1 machine. Is there a port, that provides a
>>> nice interface to this? I'd like something better than just letting
>>> Apache display the directories.
>>
>> I like audio/squeezecenter.
>>
> K, I installed the port, and pointed my browserr at port 9000 to cofigure
> it as the instructions sugewsted. I got a page congratulating me on my
> "purchase" of some hardware, andit said I needed to create an account on
> thier system. Weird
>
> What am I misunderstanding here?

Sorry for the brevity earlier. The squeezecenter software is intended
for use in supporting the Squeezebox family of hardware music players
made by Logitech, hence the "congrats". You *don't* actually have to
create any account, and I'm not sure why they ask you to. You don't have
to buy a player either; I use the included Java Web Start "virtual
player". On the web interface, look under Extras -> SoftSqueeze and use
either the applet or the JWS. Or you could buy a player [later], or
both.

You also need to put your music on the server in order to serve it (!).
I have mine in a hierarchy of directories for artists and albums, but I
guess you could just put your (properly tagged) mp3s on the machine
somewhere. Tell squeezecenter where it is and have it re-scan.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]