inetd.conf entry for saned?

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Jan 1 12:27:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 04:25:20PM -0500, stan wrote:
> I seem to be having an inrdinate amount of trouble getting a working
> inetd.conf entry for saned on 7.1
>
> If I run saned from the command line, I can connect and scan. But I cannot
> seem to amke it work from inetd Here is what I have:
>
> sane-port  stream  tcp  nowait          saned    /usr/local/sbin/saned saned
>
> Yes, I created a user for saned. although I am suprsied that the port did
> not do that. When I start inetd with the -d flag, I get:
>
> black# inetd -d
> ADD : sane-port proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=saned
> group=(null)class=daemon builtin=0x0 server=/usr/local/sbin/saned policy=""
> inetd: sane-port/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; in entrust
> inetd: sane-port/tcp: ipsec initialization failed; out entrust
> inetd: enabling sane-port, fd 4
> inetd: registered /usr/local/sbin/saned on 4
>
> What file do I add this line to?

For the record, here is wgat I woulnd up with, and it appears to work. In
/etc/inetd.conf I have:

sane-port  stream  tcp  nowait          saned   /usr/local/sbin/saned saned

Which is what I had, but what I was missing is TCP Wrappers, which are
configuered (much to my suprise) in /etc/hosts.allow, that is where this
line needed to go:

sane-port proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=saned group=(null)class=daemon builtin=0
x0 server=/usr/local/sbin/saned policy=""

Having been doing this a long time, altjough never having dealt with TCP
Wrappers in the past, I recall this file having a somewhat different
purpose in the pat, so I thought it was just a leagcy file.

programs.