Apache

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sat Feb 28 17:50:32 PST 2009

Monty Pyth wrote:
> Does anyone know what file Apache checks to get the time zone offset for httpd-access.log?
>
> 65.223.44.56 - frank [10/Oct/2000:13:55:36 -0500] "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326 "http://www.example.com/start.html" "Mozilla/4.08 [en] (Win98; I ;Nav)"
>
> Where does Apache get the -0500 from? I know many people say the system clock, but what file is it checking for that?

Why must it be getting it from a file?  See, for example,

man 2 gettimeofday

which is a call in the standard C library that returns the time in GMT
*and* the time zone the system clock is set to.  Now, if you were to
tell us that your system isn't set to EST (or current equivalent), then
this becomes a more interesting conversation....

Or is your question how to reset the time zone for your overall system?

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com