THE HACKINTOSH

Ross Cameron abalour at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 10:31:01 PST 2009

Uhm not quite Sergio please see some correction's below

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi
<lenzi at lzt.com.br>wrote:

> So, please if you to to the site of hackintosh, you will
> see that it is a Darwin, Macos is based on Darwin, and because
> of the copyright (the famous GPL...) apple must give away
> the software they use to build macos...

Mac OS X is build on MACH 3.0 and FreeBSD 5

    MACH 3.0, requires both a 4.3BSD license (Apple has one because of
they're A-UX project years ago) and
    a MACH license (from Cernegie Mellon Univercity -- which they have
because they bought NextSTEP).

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/mach/public/FAQ/license.info

    FreeBSD is BSD licensed and as a result completely free system.
            http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html

As you can see there is no GPL encumbered code in the kernel/initial
userland and therefore there is no "must give away" anything.

    Also the GPL is not a copyright it is a license. Two susinctly different
things.

> so there is Darwin if you look at
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource
> it show all the Leopards including the 10.5.6 (source code)...
> I did not see any restriction of use, for darwin, (well may be a commercial
> use???)

Darwin is well Darwin, "Leopard" is a userland codebase that sits ontop of
Darwin x.y.z

For more details : http://www.opensource.apple.com  and
http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/

> If you start with a binary version
> (http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/images/darwinx86-801.iso.gz)
> please note that it comes from the apple site...
> and download the last one, with some work (in reality a lot....) you will
> end with a Leopard (TM) without apple marks...

Please see above commentary,... you will not end up with "Leopard" you will
land up with a Leopard-like Darwin.

> I do not think this is ilegal, and I am not playing warez.

Perfectly legal so long as you're not hacking/compiling a cracked/stolent
Aqua user interface onto you're Darwin.

> In fact I am doing the same thing with opensolaris...
> get opensolaris (binary), then get the sources (from sun) and compiling the
> gnome 2.24 on top of it....
> may be the final product be called hacklaris????

Why not just start with an OpenSolaris and update it??? Would save you a LOT
of work.

> I needed it because my clients needs internet and with it a good imfamious
> flash player... that, in FreeBSD
> is not available with the stability I have on solaris... in fact, it is
> much more stable than the linux version
> besides the "virtual"  (virtualbox, xen, zones....) is far more stable on
> solaris....
> there are places (in the corporate world...) that the SUN brand counts...
> and counts a lot...

None of this makes ANY sense,... I use many different Unices professionally
and see no real stability differences with Flash (maybe I just set it up
differently???)

As for the virtualization VirtualBox and Xen are cross platform so I don't
know where you're going there?

Solaris Zones are cool, but essentially replacable with BSD jails of Linux
virtual servers (not virtualized servers mind).

I think also that a person jump from the "microsoft cage"  to the "apple
> cage"  he still is in the "cage"...
> Users, nowadays (even the "naive" ones) soon realize that they need
> freedom.

Sometimes those cages (which I dont like either) provide nice
manuals/courses/user interfaces that less technical people prefer.
Lets not start an OS preeching war again lol

--
"Opportunity is most often missed by people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work."