Odd problem with DNS and IP change.

Andrei Brezan andrei693 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:04:55 PST 2009

Hello list,

	I have a strange problem and I don't know what to relate it to. My ISP
changed my IP from (eg) 10.1.1.1 to 15.1.1.1. I have changed my zone
files to reflect that change.

"dig -t mx domain.com" results in mail.domain.com 3600 IN A 15.1.1.1
(the new ip). However when i try:

"ping mail.domain.com" it tries to get to 10.1.1.1 the old ip and gets
time to live exceeded fro an ip along the route. When i try to ping
domain.com it gets all ok as it pings the new ip. I've also tried dig
@(forwarders in named.conf) and they to got the correct mx dns entry for
domain.com.
	In rc.conf i have hostname="mail.domain.com" (eg), i haven't changed
it, i'm thinking it's something related to hostid or hostuid but i don't
know where to search for this topic.
	If anyone has a clue what to try or where to look upon this behavior
please shed some light.

Thank you.

--
Andrei Brezan