To meke Desktop FreeBSD setting up by Xorg -- under VMWare?

Stephan Lichtenauer fbsdlists at honeyguide.net
Sat Feb 28 01:03:51 PST 2009

Am 28.02.2009 um 02:09 schrieb Warren Block:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, ?? ?? wrote:
>
>> Nice to meet you.
>> I'm japanese ,Katsurou Takahash.
>>
>> I started to use FreeBSD to constitute my file server and I want to
>> use FreeBSD as Desktop OS.
>> I would like to know how to setting FreeBSD as Desktop OS by Xorg
>> on VMware Fusion act 2.
>> Or I want to know how to setting command by GUI.
>> I use MacBookPro 15inch USkeyboard.
>> If you know the way ,please tell me that.
>
> pcbsd.org has a downloadable VMWare image.  Even if you don't use
> their whole setup, you can use their xorg.conf as a starting point.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

What you might also try to do is to just install FreeBSD in VMWare
from the ISO images yourself, then install the compat6x port and
afterwards install the VMWare tools from within VMWare. This not only
installs a special VMWare driver for X.org (and automatically sets up
xorg.conf) which allows you to set the resolution and lets the mouse
leave the VM window without pressing Ctrl-Apple keys each time, this
also installs the VMWare tools applet that can be used to reduce the
VM disk image from time to time.

For infos about how to install the tools, have a look at the VMWare
Fusion Help.

Best regards

Stephan