Emacs doesn't want to support 256 colors in terminal window

Grzegorz Junka cv at gjunka.com
Fri Feb 27 18:20:47 PST 2009

Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> Not really.
> You can try changing Co cap from 8 to 256 inside termcap file, dont
> forget to use cap_mkdb after that, and dont make stupid mistakes.
> Perhaps emacs should like vim enable changing Co cap inside itself.
>
> Related to tput command, you should use "tput Co"
> "tput colors" tends to report number of columns.
>
> Also it is very hard to follow you: putty vs xterm vs cygwin; dont
> forget that your terminal may use terminfo instead of termcap .....

Further to my previous email, I've spotted my mistake and wanted to
clarify it. I am not using xterm under cygwin but rxvt. Sorry about
that. So basically I connect to my remote FreeBSD server using a
physical terminal from Windows (either putty or rxvt on cygwin), and
then I run emacs on that server and expect it to be able to show 256
colors on the Windows terminal. For that I reconfigured putty/rxvt to
report the (logical) terminal type as xterm-256color. That didn't work
so I tried to redefine the TERM environment variable on my account, but
that didn't work either. The problem seems to be with the Co value
defined for the xterm terminal type, because 'tput Co' shows 8 instead
of 256 for all physical/logical terminal configurations. I hope now it
is clear what I am running where.