can't find an internal flash reader that doesn't crash 7.1

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Feb 27 13:55:07 PST 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Steve Franks wrote:

> I have personally found very few card readers that reliably detect a
> card, then allow you to mount and use it on 7.1 without a freeze, or a
> crash on mount or *after* or *during* unmount (I'm not a reformed
> ubuntu user, I don't just rip the card out and expect it to work).
> More typically, however, they just never show a card inserted.

My external Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 reader is a little like that.  I
just leave it disconnected.  Load a card and then plug the USB cable
into the reader and it works fine.

Recent hal and (xfce) Thunar seem a little confused, so now when it
automounts the card and pops up a Thunar window, it also pops up windows
for /, /var, /tmp, and /usr.  Haven't had time to figure out what's
going on there, yet.