Can sysinstall be run interactively to install onto a second drive?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Feb 27 09:51:28 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:43:54AM -0800, Peter Steele wrote:

> Can I run sysinstall on a live system, booted say from ad0 and use it to install a new OS onto a second drive, say ad1? I'm trying to do something like this:
>
> sysinstall configFile=install.cfg loadConfig
>
> where I have the target drive identified in the sysinstall script, but it doesn't seem to like what I'm trying to do.
>
> Basically what I need to do is given a FreeBSD distribution, I want an automated procedure I can run on a system to build a new system with a specific set of packages and other customizations we need. We have this setup now using a PXE boot server, but I'd like something I can run interactively that doesn't require a boot server.

If I understand you, I think the answer is yes.
You can certainly start sysinstall on a running system.
The only thing you can't do is have it write to mounted disk space.
I don't think that is your intent, so there should be no problem.
Just be careful when you specifiy devices to write to.

////jerry