ping stucks/hangs on PCI 3com NIC sk0 interface but works on builtin NIC

Faizan ul haq Muhammad faizi62 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 11:14:14 PST 2009

> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:06:59 -0500
> From: steve at ibctech.ca
> To: faizi62 at hotmail.com
> CC: lists at jnielsen.net; freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: ping stucks/hangs on PCI 3com NIC sk0 interface but works on builtin NIC
>
> Faizan ul haq Muhammad wrote:
>
> >> Which way do you go?
> > In this case I can take any of them
>
> Perhaps you will freeze in your tracks indefinitely due to confusion. Or
> perhaps you will go around the entire block a few times before making a
> decision ;)
lol, i got confused when i first time saw ur previous reply ... that which way should i take.

> > Anyways,- Today i got some time to play around and i tried to configure
> > the machine as bridge.
> > I added device if_bridge to kernel
> > then i added the code to the rc.conf
> >
> > cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
> > ifconfig_bridge0="addm sk0 addm sk1 up"
> > ifconfig_sk0="up"
> > ifconfig_sk1="up"
> > now, i dun have any network address assigned to any of the interface and
> > connect the two lan cards to two other machines and try to ping those
> > machines from each other. but no success.
>
> Did the bridge interface actually come up?
I could see the bridge interface in the printout of Ifconfig and i assigned the IP address to the bridge interface and can ping to that IP as well (locally)

> > ... do you think, this is as expected..? (i think bridge does not need
> > to have any IP address..)
>
> It depends. Are you doing any sort of firewalling? What is the IP
> addressing info on the two end hosts?
well, in this configuration i havent enabled any firewalling.

the Ips are: 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5 for the other two hosts and to the bridge i assigned IP 192.168.0.1