hi

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Feb 23 16:26:07 PST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:50:41 -0700, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 07:15:35PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> Documenting such local 'hacks' in the Handbook is a bit like rubber
>> stamping them with the official 'recommended by FreeBSD' seal of
>> approval.  I am not sure I would like that a lot.  Serious security
>> problems may exist in stale, unmaintained ports.  It would be a bit
>> bad to make it sound like the entire FreeBSD project approves and
>> even recommends this sort of thing.
>
> I can see both sides of this argument.  Maybe we need to split up FreeBSD
> documentation into two domains, similarly to the way FreeBSD software is
> split into two domains (core and ports) -- and thus have a place outside
> the FreeBSD handbook for the same, more-than-professional quality of
> documentation, but covering things we wouldn't be comfortable putting in
> the FreeBSD Handbook itself.

I think this is already done with doc <=> wiki stuff.  I am not very good
at writing wiki documentation, but I have installed a Wiki as the starting
page of my laptop's lighttpd instance, in an effort to learn more about
wiki writing by pushing myself to use it for personal notes.

Maybe we can wikify some of the stuff that is not really Handbook-material?

I can definitely try doing that :)