a "strange" question about OSs

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Feb 23 07:19:17 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:17:44PM +0200, Reko Turja wrote:

> [...]

This confuses me a little.
Wouldn't FreeBSD be the more economical route?

I can't imagine saving money moving from FreeBSD to
one of those listed.  FreeBSD is free and seems to
take less administration hours than those others.
Certainly you do not gain anything in quality or
reliability.

Oh, I see in re-reading that it is not your company, but
your potential new service provider that wants to force
you to switch OS.   Well, there is more than one way to
gain economy.   Switching to something inferior - of poorer
service level is not a gain in economy.

So, maybe you should try suggesting FreeBSD to that provider.
All they need to do is insert the install CD in to the machine
anyway.    You can do the rest.

////jerry