a "strange" question about OSs

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at twincling.org
Mon Feb 23 07:10:18 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Valentin Bud <valentin.bud at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Saifi Khan <saifikhan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Valentin Bud <valentin.bud at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello Community,
>> >
>> >  The following question may sound very ackward but was OS is suitable
>> > from
>> > the following list
>> > to replace FBSD:
>> >
>> >   - OpenSUSE 10.3
>> >   - Debian 4.0
>> >   - CentOS 5
>> >
>> > The company i work for wants to change the provider because of the
>> > economical crisis to
>> > save some money. The actual provider gave us the chance to install our
>> > OS
>> > but the one
>> > they chose as a replacement doesn't give any other choice besides the
>> > above
>> > mentioned.
>> >
>> > I work for 2 years in IT and FBSD is the only OS i have ever used in
>> > production. I like it and
>> > learned it a little bit. It is going to be a steep learning curve with
>> > the
>> > new OS which I'm not afraid
>> > of but i would like to chose a suitable OS and one that has some
>> > similarities with FBSD.
>> >
>> > thank you,
>>
>> What are the services you are currently using on FreeBSD ?
>>

>> --
>> thanks
>> Saifi.
>
> A web server basically: MySQL, Apache, php plus some pdf manipulation with
> ghostscript and imagemagick. The new server will be on 64 bits if this is a
> concern regarding the OSs i have to choose from.
>
> thanks,

if you have to use Linux,  i'd suggest you look at Gentoo Linux 2008.0r2 .
It's a very configurable and fast distribution and works very well on AMD64X2.

The emerge/portage system is akin to ports/makefile combo in FreeBSD.
The fact that i've to deal with Python for most of the emerge tools is
an annoyance.
Almost all the packages are installed from the source code.

I've myself been a FreeBSD user for quite sometime and Gentoo Linux is
what i've found
quite impressive among the Linux distributions.

It may come as a surprise, but i've found the PHP runtime to start
faster on Gentoo Linux
than on FreeBSD on the same hardware. I also had to do a bit of
reordering of the extensions
to avoid crashes. I still donot know why that problem does not occur
on my Gentoo Linux installation.

If you have to go to Linux and choose to use Gentoo Linux, i'll be
happy to offer assistance as a friend
with setup and troubleshooting. You are also welcome to look up the
settings for Gentoo Linux at
http://www.twincling.org/node/237

--
thanks