Accessing /dev/lpt0 in a Jail

Paul Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Sun Feb 22 16:23:30 PST 2009

Jasvinder S. Bahra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup CUPS (in a jail) using an old parallel port
> printer on my server machine.
>
> I used ezjail to create a jail and then installed CUPS.  I've got it
> up and running, and I can access the administration website.
>
> However, as far as I can tell, the admin website doesn't seem to offer
> any options regarding the parallel port.  Following some research, I
> believe I somehow needs to create a /dev/lpt0 entry, *in* the jail.
>
> Now, that entry exists on the jail's host system, but theres a limited
> list of entries in the jail's /dev directory.  If I do a "ls -al /dev"
> (less quotes) in the jail, I get the following...
>
> [root at pearl cups]# ls -al /dev
> total 0
> dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Feb 22 19:04 fd
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        14 Feb 22 19:04 log -> ../var/run/log
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  16 Feb 22 19:22 null
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0, 122 Feb 22 19:28 ptyp0
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,   8 Feb 22 19:04 random
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         4 Feb 22 19:04 stderr -> fd/2
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         4 Feb 22 19:04 stdin -> fd/0
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         4 Feb 22 19:04 stdout -> fd/1
> crw--w----  1 jazz  tty      0, 123 Feb 22 19:28 ttyp0
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         6 Feb 22 19:04 urandom -> random
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  17 Feb 22 19:04 zero
>
> Does anyone know how I go about providing the jail with a link to lpt0?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jazz

I've never used ezjail, as I usually setup jails myself.  With that
said, access to dev entries within jail are/can be controlled by devfs
rules.  The configuration for your rules is "administrator dependant".
More specifically, you should find a line in your rc.conf that looks
similar to the following:

jail_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"

This defines the ruleset used for your jails.  Knowing this, you can now
edit your rules file (/etc/devfs.rules) and add appropriate entries for
your printer and associated devices.

~Paul