"No mirrors remaining, giving up". when trying to update(minor or version )

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 12:03:38 PST 2009

paljibus wrote:
>    Helo gurus,
>    my system is:
>    FreeBSD cvs2.abvent.fr 7.0-STABLE-200806 FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE-200806 #0:
>    Mon Jun  2 18:36:08 UTC 2008
>    [1]root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>    cvs2#
>    I installed that half-year version of FreeBSD 7, and I get in trouble
>    when updating:
>    it says:
>    cvs2# freebsd-update fetch
>    Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
>    Fetching public key from update1.FreeBSD.org... failed.
>    Fetching public key from update2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
>    No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>    cvs2#
>    It seems my key is bad, because I installed a 7+ version? where is my
>    key?
>    any idea?
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

You can't use freebsd-update, unless you are running a -RELEASE version.
You will have to recompile from source to update this system:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

(relevant section: 24.5.2)

Using RELENG_7_1_0_RELEASE as the tag in the method above will get you
7.1-RELEASE, and you can then start using freebsd-update.

(You can also use RELENG_7_1 which will get you 7.1-RELEASE plus latest
updates)