weird permissions on directories when installing ports through sudo

Aleksandr Miroslav alexmiroslav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:24:19 PST 2009

For the longest time, I have installed ports via the "sudo make install" or
"sudo portupgrade" or "sudo portinstall" method and never had a problem.

Recently, as of a few weeks ago, I started noticing that ports that were
installed or upgraded were getting the wrong permissions. Not only were
directories getting permissions of 700 (whereas previously they had been
755), but the directories /usr/local and entries in /var/db/pkg were getting
permissions of 700.

This is causing a lot of things to break, and I have to manually go in and
make everything public for it to work again.

This only happens when I build ports via sudo. If I am root and I run make
install, everything works fine.

I haven't changed anything recently either in sudo, or my umask.

What can I do to fix this?