sendmail not listening on port 465

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Feb 17 15:58:35 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:41:34 -0500, Seur Bors <seurbors at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm using 7.0-RELEASE-p9, Sendmail 8.14.2 (Compiled with ... STARTTLS SASLv2
> ...)
>
> I'm having problems with Sendmail. Everything is working fine, except
> that the sendmail daemon is not listening on port 465.  I'm currently
> in a jailed environment, and have followed the directions in Lucas's
> "Absolute FreeBSD 2nd Edition" (which is an amazing book by the way,
> and well worth the $60!), with regards to the full jail setup, and
> additions for rebuilding Sendmail.  I also have Apache and Dovecot
> installed, which both use the self-signed certificates for SSL without
> err.
>
> my .cf has:
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl

You might have to turn off the default MSA and define your own with:

    FEATURE(`no_default_msa')
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E')
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')

I can't test a TLS setup right now, as I am running another test for a
few hours.  Try the above and if it fails, let me know.