recovering from a power outage

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 05:52:47 PST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:16:13 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:11:56 -0500, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>
> wrote:
>> One of my machines has a pair of 50gb SCSI disks; running two
>> full passes takes about 7 minutes.
>> I have no idea how long it might take to check a
>> multi-terabyte RAID-<mumble> set-up.
>
> It's not *that* hard to wait for an fsck. I have 2 x 500 GB here at
> home, you're right, it takes several minutes for fsck to check both
> disks, but in the end, you're happy that either everything turns out
> to be okay or, if problems occured, you see these problems and can
> decide how to handle them.
>
>> Still worth waiting ... in my opinion.
>
> I'd rather wait than lose data.
>
> But as you said, it's very individual how you think about this. If
> backups are done properly, sometimes it might even be easier *not* to
> repair data, but to put back the backups on the newly initialized
> disks...

IMHO, if you are running a system where 'power outages' cannot be
tolerated, why not install a UPS, they are really quite cheap, and be
done with it? I cannot imagine any high end, mission critical
system not employing one.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Your temporary financial embarrassment will
be relieved in a surprising manner.