recovering from a power outage

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 13 01:51:30 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:00:16 -0500, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:
> 	1) It was my understanding one has to force-mount a dirty
> filesuystem.  IF this sounds like a practice best left to senior
> Jedi Masters ... it porbably is.

Mounting possibly defective file systems is not a good idea. If it's
possible, boot into SUM via boot -s first, check partitions (unmounted!)
and then mount -a. Use "exit" to bring up MUM afterwards.

Setting background_fsck="NO" in /etc/rc.conf may increase boot time
if problems occur, but can be useful to first check for errors, and
then bring up the system, instead of bringing up the system with maybe
problems on the partitions. I think this delay is something you can
affort.

It's not good to fsck a mounted partition anyway, because fsck can
repair minor defects on its own.

> 	2) I would _never_ let background fsck "take care of things"
> after a crash,  While hovering over the keyboard is a pain, I will
> find out how badly things are damaged, rather than have boatloads of
> files mysteriously vanish.

That's a good concept which I do follow myself, too. I spend some minutes
seeing fsck checking partitions after unclean shutdown, but when everything's
okay, there's no problem running into MUM *afterwards*.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0