Restricting users to their own home directories / not letting users view other users files...?

Keith Palmer keith at academickeys.com
Thu Feb 12 08:05:03 PST 2009

Your other proposed solution results in the same situation, correct? No
matter what, Apache needs read-access to any and all files, so no matter
what PHP will have access to read any user's files. There's no way around
that for a shared hosting situation that I know of...

If you remove the groups write privs, then PHP scripts can't really do any
damage at least.

Your solution doesn't work because the user "keith" could still do a "ls
/home/shannon/public_html/" and get the directory listing (shannon's
public_html directory is 0755, per your suggestion). Unless I'm missing
something...?

--
 - Keith Palmer
   Keith at AcademicKeys.com