Localized keyboard under Xorg 7.4...

Matt datahead4 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:12:17 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Peter Harrison
<peter.piggybox at virgin.net> wrote:
> So I've run the Xorg update. I've come across a number of problems (the biggest of which was needed to rebuilt xfce and losing all my settings).
>
> The one I'm having real difficulty with at the moment is using a UK keyboard layout. Previously I had this line in my xorg.conf under the "Keyboard" InputDevice section:
>
> Option  "XkbLayout"     "gb"
>
> This doesn't work any more, so I followed the advice in this post:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=140908+0+archive/2009/freebsd-questions/20090208.freebsd-questions
>
> to put the relevant entry in /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi
>
> Still no joy. I get these lines in Xorg.0.log:
>
> (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
> (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>        compiled for 1.5.3, module version = 1.3.2
>        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
>        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.1
> (**) AT Keyboard: always reports core events
> (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
> (**) AT Keyboard: Protocol: standard
> (**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
> (**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> (**) AT Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
> (**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> (**) AT Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc105"
> (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> (**) AT Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us"
>
> I'm getting around it at the moment by getting xfce to run this at startup:
>
> setxkbmap gb
>
> But that's hardly an ideal solution. Can anyone suggest a better one?

Have you tried adding the:

    Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
    Option "AutoEnableDevices" "off"

settings in the ServerFlags section of xorg.conf?  That should disable
the hal/dbus detections and use just the settings you have spelled out
in xorg.conf (which shouldn't be too much of an issue if you already
had a fully configured xorg.conf before the upgrade to 7.4).

Matt