ipv6 and freebsd

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Feb 10 06:28:50 PST 2009

gahn wrote:
> Ok, i meant the configuration of "ipv6_network_interface="fxp0"" alone doesn't seem to be working:

[...]

> how could I enable IPv6 only on the interface fxp0 instead of every interface?

It is possible to completely disable IPv6 on an interface, but man (8)
ndp recommends against doing this manually.

However, you can pretty well achieve the same effect by informing the
interfaces to not accept RAs.

First (and to answer your next question), enable 'auto config'. You can
put the next line in /etc/sysctl.conf to enable it at boot (without the
word 'sysctl'):

pearl# sysctl net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1

Now, you can disable acceptance of rtadv messages on individual
interfaces by:

pearl# ndp -i fxp1 -- -accept_rtadv

...or re-enable:

pearl# ndp -i fxp1 -- accept_rtadv

So, I think that this will suit your requirements. The only difference
being is that although the unused interfaces won't accept RAs, they will
still have a link-local address.

Steve