Slow DNS (and host: connection timed out)

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 04:09:57 PST 2009

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 09:33:36 Mel wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2009 22:55:56 David Naylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My ISP is using a WinGate DNS but resolving host names often takes a long
> > time.  The problem is also present in Konqueror (3 & 4) and Firefox.
> >
> > An example:
> > # time host google.co.za
> > google.co.za has address 66.249.93.104
> > google.co.za has address 72.14.207.104
> > google.co.za has address 64.233.161.104
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
> Do your own DNS. Your ISP chokes in AAAA ('IPv6') look ups. If you're not
> allowed to, still run a local resolver with aggressive neg ttl caching.
>
> See the numerous tutorials on the web on how to run your own resolver.

Well spotted.  You are right that the ISP is choking on AAAA, except it is
returning SERVFAIL.  I already have a local named running and acts as a
forwarder.  Unfortunately I have to use the ISP to resolve names (it is the
only nameserver I have access to).

Google says bind won't cache SERVFAIL responces and I have no idea how to
disable named from forwarding AAAA requests.