portupgrade failing on perl modules

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Sun Feb 8 13:22:42 PST 2009

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>> On 08/02/09 Glen Barber said:
>>
>>> Have you tried manually `make deinstall; make install'?
>>
>> Yes, and the make install pulled in dependencies on other perl
>> modules that
>> resulted in the same error message that _they_ had to be reinstalled.
>> Following those dependencies resulted in the same, and so on...
>>
>> I have no hair left to pull out, or it would be gone.
>
> I'd wager that 'pkg_info -l p5-Module-Giving-You-Trouble' says everything
> is installed under ${LOCALBASE}/lib/perl5/site-perl/5.8.8 but that if you
> run 'perl -v' the number 5.8.9 is prominently displayed.
>
> Please read the UPDATING entry for 20090113, strike yourself upon the
> forehead whilst crying "D'oh!" in a loud voice and then run
> 'perl-after-upgrade -f' as instructed.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Matthew

Actually, I was having that trouble, too.  But for me the solution was
to deinstall perl-threaded, pkg_delete -f the non-deinstalled perl
5.8.9, rmconfig && make config-recursive in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8,
make sure the "build threaded perl" was unchecked and make install clean
from there.  Before doing all that, I had run perl-after-upgrade
(several times) to no avail.

I'm not sure how I ended up with 2 perls installed, or why deinstalling
perl-threaded left one remaining, but all was (is) well after I reverted
perl as above.

Tim