portupgrade failing on perl modules

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Sun Feb 8 06:39:30 PST 2009

I'm having this with several perl modules while running a portupgrade -a.

===>   p5-Tie-IxHash-1.21 is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/p5-Tie-IxHash
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/p5-Tie-IxHash.
*** Error code 1

I thought that portupgrade would take the right action to uninstall/reinstall
if required. I mean, it upgrades ports, right? :)

Some guidance would be appreciated.

Mike
--Albert Einstein