Problem when uploading files with Apache

Nicolas Letellier nicolas at nicoelro.net
Sun Feb 8 05:11:01 PST 2009

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 08:01:13 -0500
Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Nicolas Letellier <nicolas at nicoelro.net> wrote:
> > I have another FreeBSD (7.0) and Apache 1.3, and it works. On this machine (6.3) it does not work.
>
> What do you mean it does not work.  You state below there are no
> errors.  If it "does not work" there should be errors.
It does not work because Apache don't set 'good rights'. Without error. So, for Apache, there are no errors. For me, yes. It is not normal that the rights are www:wheel.

> > The problem is... I don't understand the "wheel". Apache does not run in wheel. All my folders/files are not grouped by "wheel".
>
> 'wheel' is root's default group.
But it is not the www's default group.
And Apache runs a www user. I *never* launch my scripts as root. So, that's why I don't understand.

> > I have nothing in log. Because there are no errors... All is ok... Just the rights......
> >

> But you say above "it does not work."
It does not work because apache set www:wheel on rights when I UPLOAD a file ; on the other hand, when I create file/folder, the rights are www:www.

When I launch this very simple script:

<?php

$aa = fopen('./aaa', 'a+');
fclose($aa);

?>

./aaa file is created with www:www.

So, anybody could explain me when I upload a file, rights are www:wheel?

And WHY wheel group is used? This group may never be used for Apache.

--
 -Nicolas.