is there any way to increase disk performance ?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 8 01:48:38 PST 2009

Tim Judd wrote:
> Yavuz wrote:
>> I have freebsd7 (amd64 bit)  and sata2 disk 7200 rpm.
>>
>> it's running mail server which has services like pop3,imap,smtp and
>> webmail on this machine.
>>
>> When I type systat 1 -vmstat on command line, even I rarely see that
>> disk usage hits 100%.
>> I have no problem as ram and cpu.  they is enough.
>>
>> is there any way to increase disk performance without causing any
>> problem ?
>>

> So in one second, the disk hits 100% utilization, weather it's reading
> or writing data to disk.  You said above that "I rarely see" -- so even
> though, as a server, you're running slow spindles, you are doing pretty
> good.
>
> I've no real experience with a site that's (for example) been
> slashdotted, to test what is tolerable, and what's not.  But as I
> currently guess, an OVERALL average between 25% to 33% is about as much
> as I would ever tax a server for CONSISTENT averages.
>
> So if you're seeing it rarely, such as when somebody hits webmail and
> takes 1 second of constant disk read to serve the content, I'd be happy
> there...
>
> I don't think you have a problem, when you put your concern into the
> broader scope of 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week.  It'll be very
> difficult to never see 100% in 1 second no matter how powerful the
> machine is.

Make sure you understand that gstat's "%busy" column does not tell you
how close to capacity your disk is, it tells you what % of time it is
handling I/O.  Since modern drives can have many commands queued at any
given time, those are not the same thing.

To understand whether your disk is overloaded, look at the ms/r and ms/w
times.

Kris