Playing audio CDs

Akenner SlackWareWolf at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 10:28:50 PST 2009

I've been searching on the net for like an hour trying to see how to
play a CD on FreeBSD, and normally I'd have just tried mounting it,
being from the Linux world, but when I first checked to be sure of the
proper way, I found mostly info saying not to mount it at all.

So now I'm not sure what is the right way to do it. On two machines each
having between 1 - 3 drives to play CDs from, I've tried just loading a
CD player app and hitting play, but it doesn't find the CD, and on one
machine there is only one drive so it can't be the wrong one.

None of the pages I found said it was OK to mount it, and so I'm a
little confused how you play CDs, and I've used cdplay as root to make
sure I had access since the one app said I couldn't access the CD drive,
and nothing has happened.

How is the normal way of playing a regular audio CD in FreeBSD?

Thanks