Flash9 and FreeBSD7.0 isssue

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Fri Feb 6 12:30:59 PST 2009

dhaneshk k wrote:
 > I followed  http://freebsd.langhans.com.pl/af/index.html
 >
 > To enable  flash9   support for FreeBSD7.0

In contrast to the other replies, I have flash9 running with
linux_base-fc-4_14 using compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2 in a native
firefox3 (not the linux version).

It runs ok. Occasionally, the plugin crashes for a new page with flash,
but it does not take firefox with it. Reloading the page usually fixes it.

The important difference to your setup is that I run FreeBSD 7.1.

Since the main bug rendering flash9 unstable was fixed in 7-STABLE
between 7.1-RC1 and 7.1-RC2, I do not think anything will fix flash9 on
FreeBSD 7.0.

Maybe you get better results with osrelease=2.6.16 _and_ a newer
linux_base, but that is not necessary. Updating to 7.1 is.

noscript or at least flashblock is a must...

The procedure: Get firefox3, flash9, and nspluginwrapper up to date,
remove everything with nspluginwrapper as root and as your user, auto
install every plugin as root (-a -i -v), and put links in your
~/.mozilla/plugins:

cd ~/.mozilla/plugins/
ln -s /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

You need linprocfs mounted to /usr/compat/linux/proc -- see the manpage
of linprocfs.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik