After upgrade problems with many open files

Klaus Friis Østergaard farremosen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:21:50 PST 2009

Hi,

After I recently update my 7.0 Freebsd Box I have now a small problem
with performance and many open files.

This has not een an issue before so I don't know what a nornal level
is, but at the moment I have increased the kern.maxfiles from 12.000
to 60.000, and the system uses between 22.000 to 30.000 open files.

On the box I is samba, MySQL (with no real activity only installed not
used yet), gnome, interfaces I have I have 5 thin clients attached to
this server, they get X via xdmcp from thin clienter that boots up
with there own os (Elux).

After the upgrade of application every thing seems to be slow, could
it be related to the many open files are there other places to look
for tunning

I have tried to use lsof but I do'not find 20000 lines when listed.

Any help/guidience to solve this would be apriciated.

/Klaus

--
Klaus