Screen problem on booting

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Tue Feb 3 14:13:39 PST 2009

Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> On 2/2/09, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:
>> Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm using FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p2
>>>
>>> Since a few days I've noticed something weird. On booting, all the
>>> text I see is shifted to the left, so I lose the first ten letters or
>>> so in every line of text.
>>>
>>> After login, once I type "startx" the X Window system seems to be OK
>>> _and_ if I go back to a console with Alt-Ctrl-Fn the console is fine
>>> again.
>>>
>>> My graphic card is an ATI Radeon HD2400.
>>>
>>> Anybody noticed it?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> PS: In console mode, reset command doesn't fix the problem.
>>>
>> Adjust the horizontal position with the controls on the monitor while
>> booting? My LCD flat panel has an auto adjust button which does the same
>> thing.
>
> Yep, but the point is that it worked fine some time ago (probably with
> -p1, though I'm not sure). And as I said after using X, if I go back
> again to console mode, monitor settings are correct. Doesn't this
> means there is some kind of problem with video at start up?
> None of my other operating systems in that machine suffer this problem.
>
> Thanks
.
I thought maybe it was a problem that occurred with whatever graphics
driver is loaded on boot and that it goes away once the ATI driver is
loaded but maybe not. I just tested mine by using the screen controls to
set the screen over to one side while booting. Once X starts and the
nvidia driver loads the screen position is fine, however going to a
console (ctrl-alt-Fn) the screen is still displaced unlike yours. Sorry
if that suggestion doesn't fix it.

Chris