virtualbox networking setup

huubs huub at wirelessleiden.nl
Tue Feb 3 09:23:17 PST 2009

I'm new to the group, and I'm new to setting up VirtualBox guest hosts.
right now I have a Debian linux box, and I setup Virtual box. I installed
FreeBSD on it, but I can't seem to get the networking to work.

FreeBSD choses the wrong networkadapter by default. Modify the
networkadapter to PCnet-PCI II (AM79C970A) , do this BEFORE you actually
install FreeBSD. Choose 'Attached to Host Interface'.
That way you will get a le0 interface in your config.

This works fine with FreeBSD7.0.
However, I could NOT get FreeBSD7.1 to work properly. Using the above
procedure the system crashes during boot (after the line 'point to point
kickstart'). The only way to get FreeBSD7.1 to work is by either booting in
safe mode of by inactivating the nic.