lpt0 "device busy"

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 2 12:20:47 PST 2009

Just recently I've started having a problem with my HP 5N it was printing
fine. Now, whatever I do lpt0 shows "device busy". I've googled reinstalled
apsfilter and put the printer through all the self tests (passed) and verified
there's nothing in the printer's memory. I've rebuilt userland and kernel.
Even tried cups and anything sent to /dev/lpt0 returns that error.

dmesg:
ppc1: <NetMos NM9805 1284 Printer port> port
0xe800-0xe807,0xe400-0xe407,0xe000-0xe007,0xd800-0xd807,0xd400-0xd407,0xd000-0xd00f
irq 21 at device 3.0 on pci3
ppc1: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc1: [ITHREAD]
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc1
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP/ECP_RLE
ppbus0: Probing for PnP devices:
ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5> PJL,MLC,PCL,PCLXL
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: [ITHREAD]
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

uname:
FreeBSD pinnacle.akherb.com 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #70: Mon Feb  2
03:17:26 AKST 2009     root at pinnacle.akherb.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PINNACLE
i386

fstat /dev/lpt0 and fstat /pt0.ctl show nothing.

Ant attempt at changing settings with lptcontrol also result in a "device
busy" error.

pinnacle# lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpt0.ctl
lptcontrol: open: Device busy

I'm totally at a loss to figure out what's changed does anyone have any
suggestions? I really need to get this working.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html