Tool to uncat file

Eitan Adler eitanadlerlist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:19:14 PST 2009

Polytropon wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> before starting to code on my own, I'd like to ask if there's already a
> tool to uncat files, defining the file separation position as a string
> of bytes, usually given in hexadecimal form.
>

> Is there such a tool, or any other ideas?

If I understand correctly you are looking for split(1).
     -p pattern
             The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which
             is interpreted as an extended regular expression.  The matching
             line will be the first line of the next output file.  This
option
             is incompatible with the -b and -l options.

--
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."