NOW what?

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Thu Dec 31 19:10:52 UTC 2009

Gary Kline wrote:

> 	My new server is back out of harm's way, but now, upon reboot, no mail.  I have
> 	tail -f maillog and get "Domain not found"
>
> 	Yes, i did edit my DNS files, but I think i have a backup.  Can anybody clue me
> 	in so i don't do this by mistake again?  thanks.

Are we talking about ethic.thought.org?  (Personally I think it's a bit
arrogant of you to assume we all remember the details of your network
from week to week, but I'm a grouch, and other's mileage almost
certainly varies.)

Is your mail server on ethic.thought.org?  If so, you're probably just
running into a race condition, given that your *only* nameserver for
thought.org is also on ethic.  Or at least your only announced
nameserver.  In other words, your mailserver is quite possibly starting
up, attempting a dns lookup and timing out, all before your nameserver
is up and running.

What happens if you restart just your mailserver at this time?

If that doesn't resolve the matter, give us some details about where
your nameserver and mailserver live, and give us the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf on the mailserver, and tell us for which e-mail
addresses e-mail isn't flowing.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com