xorg-7.4_2 error (was xorg 7.4 questions)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Dec 30 23:34:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, doug at safeport.com wrote:

> [non applicable stuff cut]
>
>> Starting xdm gives the following in /var/log/xdm-log:
>>
>>     :
>>  finished PLL1
>>  set RMX
>>  set LVDS
>>  enable LVDS
>>  disable primary dac
>>  disable FP1
>>  disable TV
>>  /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/X: Undefined symbol "shmctl"
>>  xdm error (pid 1416): server unexpectedly died
>>  xdm error (pid 1416): Server for display :0 can't be started, session
>>  disabled
>
> This is mostly likely because my 7.2 libc is earlier than the one used to
> build the package. I am told that, "there's a strong argument that 7-stable
> packages should actually be built against 7.0, which defines the binary
> interface, but the portmgr folks are not convinced to do so".

After updating ports, 'portsdb -Fu' and 'portversion -vL=' will show
what's outdated.  (That's with portupgrade installed.  Some would have
you believe it's second in evil only to HAL.  Maybe true, but it works.)

And then 'portupgrade -r portname' (or 'portupgrade -ar', if you like)
should upgrade the outdated stuff and everything that depends on it.
And -P or -PP might help by retrieving packages, although I haven't
tried that in years.

> As an end-user I would at least plead for a doc-change. This bit explains a
> lot of 'random' behavior that gets reported. Getting an error is the best
> that can be hoped for. A change in a syscall that produces a silent error is
> much more time consuming. Xorg being Xorg this is just, I am sure, the next
> layer. This is also most likely the answer to threads on 10/09/09 and
> 12/17/09.

Is the slow startup with xdm fixed by upgrading libc?  By replacing the
package or via ports?