Burning an audio CD

Rolf Nielsen listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
Wed Dec 30 22:23:44 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-30 23:08, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Today I tried to burn an audio CD.  This may actually be the first
> time I ever did this.
>
> I'm sure there are all kinds of GUIey tools, but I took the simple
> route: expanded a few high-quality MP3s to raw PCM with mpg123,
> then put a CD-R in the drive and burned it with
>
>    burncd -f /dev/acd0 -d audio *
>
> That seemed to work.  Afterwards, I tried to play the CD with XMMS.
> That also worked fine.
>
> Then I put the CD into my car CD player, which was the reason for
> the whole exercise.
> 11 tracks (ok)... playing track 1... (nothing)... ERROR CD.
>
> The player does not like the CD.
>
> Is there anything obvious I missed?

I was about to suggest adding fixate to the command line, like so

burncd -f /dev/acd0 -d audio * fixate

but then I read in the man page that it's ignored if -d is given
(obviously now that I think about it, since DAO normally implies
fixating). However, it may be worth trying anyway.

You may also want to try sysutils/cdrtools-devel, which is a lot more
competent than burncd. However, as you have an ATAPI CD burner, you will
need atapicam in your kernel. Either add

device atapicam

to your kernel config, recompile, install and reboot or

kldload atapicam

as root in the console or an xterm.

To automate it, add

atapicam_load="YES"